Skip to content

Carmel Half Marathon Race Recap


Well, I knew the day would come when things just wouldn’t fall into place from a race perspective. Today was that day.

I had been hemming and hawing over signing up for the Inaugural Carmel Marathon since the winter and it wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I actually bit the bullet and registered. A Saturday with nothing to do? Why not run 13.1 miles? My running regularity has been very much off and on since the Mini Marathon in May so I came into today’s race very unprepared.

I checked out the expo Thursday night which took place at the Monon Community Center. Side note: I LOVE Carmel. Would love to live there. Just wish it was more accessible to the interstate and closer to work. Reminds me of Oakland County, which is home. Maybe someday. Anyway, the expo was nice. Not nearly as big as the past expos I’ve been to. But I guess this was also the smallest race I’ve ever run (5,000 people). Small race = small expo.

I didn’t spend a ton of time there, but it was nicely set up with plenty of booths (Garmin & Mudathlon!) and very friendly faces. Plus I’m loving the tech tee. Sporting it now.

My pre-race routine was a little different this time around too. I had to work all day  Friday so by time I got home, I didn’t have much time to get the ball rolling on getting everything together. The weather was slotted to be a bit dicey, so I laid out some options in the spare room, prepared some overnight oats, and jumped into the sack by 9p. The hubs was on call and had some bone things to do at the hospital, so I wasn’t missing out on much.

Around 2a, I was awoken by a crazy t-storm. Lightning, thunder, winds and rain,, the whole shebang. I obsessively checked the Weather Channel on my phone, threw out a quick tweet and fell back asleep for a few more hours. I needed every minute.

430a came, I got my booty up, showered up, laced up and Roxy and I were on the road by 530.

As I jumped on the interstate, the sky looked like this:

Don't judge me for snapping a pic on the road! Had to have proof!

Wonderful. Good thing I packed a garbage bag. [Suprisingly, besides a few pre-race sprinkles, the rain held off. All talk, no action, Mother Nature]

I had some troubles with parking – the original lot I wanted was full. So I drove around frantically trying to find a spot, finally finding one about a half mile from the start line. Of course I had to use the porta potty after my hour drive, so after I barged in on a guy peeing relieved myself, I headed up to the 9min/mi pace group, had enough time to do about 10 butt-kicks before the gun went off at 7a.

I started the race like a champ. My official 5k time was 24:53. I felt pretty good those first few miles, but it wasn’t long after that that I completely crashed. Not literally like at the National Half Marathon, but figuratively. Since my training has been lackluster, my nutrition has also been sub-par. I’m attributing my #fail to poor fuelage. I had to pull out my Gu around mile 5, which is wayyy too early. I have never sweat so much during a race. I seriously contemplated walking it out starting around mile 4. And then again at mile 6. And 8. Definitely 10. And finally at 12.5. I found myself obsessing over where the next water stations were. And when I got finally there, I would drink a Powerade and chase it with a water (which started turning yellow-tinged by around mile 8, ick). In previous races, I usually take a few swigs, chuck the cup and continue running, but this time I actually walked as I drank. Which I should do anyway, because who is really capable of drinking and running at the same time? Not me. I threw in a couple more walk breaks too, even as late as mile 12.5, then decided to (wo)man up and finish “strong.” The motivation to keep moving today was just NOT there. :/

The course was surprisingly hilly. I’m convinced they sought out the only hills in central Indiana and put them on the route. Even a hill at the end, wth? Not nice. I wish I had a better attitude during the race because the route actually was fairly scenic. More so than the Mini. I had my first experience on the Monon trail, which I will now associate with the time I got passed by a very pregnant woman. She was seriously trucking and at least 6 months along. I can only hope I’ll have that energy someday. Today it was just embarassing.

Nothing felt better than finishing that race. I even made the lady at the end put the medal around my neck instead of doing it myself. I was that exhausted. I grabbed a water, a nanner, and a much coveted chocolate milk and hung out on the curb for about 20 minutes to cool down.


My official time:

And now,, my splits (don’t laugh):


Overall, today was my WRE (worst race ever). And it has nothing to do with the race itself. I was very impressed with the marathon/ route/ volunteers – especially in its inaugural year! It does, however, have everything to do with me and my preparation (or lack thereof). The only positives about today are: 1) I got another medal and 2) today was my first day of Chicago Marathon training with TNT Flex! I have already looked into nutrition type books to help me get back on the saddle, and as soon as I wrap up this post, I will be ordering. It’s amazing sometimes how little your training has to do with your overall performance. More whole grains and veggies for this girl! Maybe I’ll go make a green monster,,, 🙂

Next up: Mudathlon on 6/25! TG it’s only 3 miles + obstacles. June marathons = redic. Check out our shirts ~~>


2 Comments leave one →
  1. 06/11/2011 7:59 pm

    Enjoyed reading this Bri! You still kicked butt in my eyes! Good luck with your upcoming races!

    • 06/11/2011 8:40 pm

      Thanks Anna! Good luck on your half too! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s