Skip to content



Miles that is.

The hubs, pup and I arrived in Michigan around 1015p Thursday evening. After a little schmoozing with the rents and an episode of Curb, we all hit the sack. The weekend ahead had lots of activities planned. First on the agenda: an early morning 18-mile training run.

My alarm went off at 515a and after a record 1 snooze, I rolled out of bed while the rest of the world slept. It’s amazing how I can coerce myself into getting up so early when it’s by choice, but when it’s for something forced, like work, I struggle. I had made a PB english muffin the night before so washing that down with a glass of milk, I was off.

I had mapped out my route a few days earlier using Map My Run. If you haven’t used this site/app before, you should try it out. It’s super helpful for preparation purposes and you can save your routes and upload them to your phone. I also recruited Michael to run with me. He showed some interest in covering distance beyond 13 miles so though he didn’t truly intend on running the full 18, he agreed to join. I was just excited to have some company!

It was pitch black outside at 550a when I hit the road. Always a little frightening but I had the street lights to guide me along. During my first few minutes, I saw a bright light headed in my direction. Not a car, but what appeared to be another runner! With a headlight! As he passed, I said “I should look into one of those!” to which he replied, “haha, yeah.” Sad response, yet always nice to see someone as crazy dedicated as me out so early.

I swung by Michael’s house and we took to our pre-planned route by 6a. The run included 2 long straight aways. Basically up 2 miles, down 6, up another 2, then back down 6. Sometimes the straight aways can be a little monotonous, but today didn’t seem so bad. The temps were perfect: mid-60’s, very little humidity and a slight breeze. I love that about getting outside early. Plus it’s so darn peaceful.

Around mile 4, we made a pitstop at the Troy Community Center. We had been maintaining about a 9-9:30 min/mi pace and the legs were feeling good. I took a couple orange Gu Chomps around mile 6, washing them down with some swigs of H2O. DYK it’s important to follow up all types of energy gels with water?? Recently learned that through Runner’s World. 

Our route had us run by 3 different 7-Elevens. We made our first stop on the first 6-mile stretch to refill our water bottles and take a little breather.

After our stop, we chugged along, though slowing slightly to a 10 min/mi pace around mile 10. Mike had just purchased a pair of Newton running shoes (totally jelly) and was still breaking them in. Though his legs felt good, his body wasn’t completely on the same page. His PDR (personal distance record) to date was 13.1 miles. We all know its a mental challenge to push past that “comfortable” half mary distance. Not sure why, but when you’re used to stopping at mile 13, continuing on is slightly painful. With determination, Mike continued on up until our next 7-Eleven stop at mile 13.5.

After picking up another bottled water, we pushed on. Mike’s house was about another mile or so ahead but he continued to have a mind vs body battle. He took to a walk and encouraged me to go on ahead without him. I had to meet Cora and her bridal party at the nail salon by 10a so I was kind of in a time crunch. If I hadn’t had that, I would’ve stayed back with him.  I had even told him earlier on that I was more concerned about the distance than the speed on this run. But since it was already around 830, we high-fived and parted ways.

The last few miles went well. I was so beyond motivated to get to 18 miles. At one point I contemplated stopping at 17 so I would have more time to get ready. But I quickly refuted that idea. I wanted that PDR. My scheduled route only had me at 17.4 miles, so I knew I needed to do a little jiggy-jog to get that last half mile. I thought, “do I run the planned route and just add on another street or two or should I just go a little farther earlier so I can wind up at home without running past it?” I chose the latter.

The legs were starting to drag a little just before I hit mile 17. But knowing that I had less than 10 minutes to run kept me going. I reached my last major road crossing before arriving home and darted across to the median while the traffic crossing light was still green. I knew if I stopped I would have a hard time restarting. As I started across the second half of the road, however, I must’ve shuffled or dragged my feet because before I knew it, I FELL!!! What the heck, AGAIN?? Granted it was a quick painless fall, but it was in the middle of the road, with lots of spectators. My water bottle went flying and I got a little baby-sized sample of road rash. I was literally on the ground for 2 seconds before I popped up, grabbed my bottle and sprinted ahead. Ugh, so embarassing. But I was not gonna stop.

Mile 17.5 came as I was running past my old high school, and before I knew it, a group of about 20 high schoolers came running out about a quarter mile in front of me. It must’ve looked like I was the slow runner straggling behind, ha 🙂 Luckily they went straight when I turned left at the corner. Enough of the embarrassment already, ok?!

I approached my driveway with a quarter mile to go, so I ran hard down and around the corner and before I knew it,, “BEEP BEEP BEEP!” 18 miles COMPLETE!!

With no intentions on going any farther, I walked the rest of the way home. I can’t believe I did it. 18 miles. I must have brain damage, right?

Around the time Mike and I parted ways, I could feel my left foot starting to hurt. Fasciitis-type pain. It actually hurt more to walk than to run so it really didn’t affect my last few miles. But as soon as I stopped and took my tennies off, there it was. I knew I had to stretch it out so I spent a few post-run minutes with my pillow case.

Then I had a first: My first ice bath!! Read this article from Runner’s World on the benefits of a post-run ice bath. I knew I had to try it since I had a long weekend ahead that required a lot of time standing. In heels. I had the hubby bring me a glass of ice while I filled up the tub.

After which, I tweeted.

After a follow-up shower and a Pop-Tart, I made it to the nail salon by about 1025a. Better late than never. Plus my piggies definitely needed some attention (see above pic).

Mike ended up finishing nearly 15 miles after running/walking back to his house. I am so proud of our PDRs. Who would’ve thought that we are capable of such distance. I thought for sure I was a half marathon wonder. Guess I should start giving myself a little more credit!

Ps,, I have been anhilating any and all food that has been in front of me this weekend. Hello, metabolism. Nice to see you again!! 😉

5 Comments leave one →
  1. 08/21/2011 9:09 pm

    Glad your metabolism is back 🙂 I wish mine would kick into high gear, that would make losing weight easier!

  2. 08/22/2011 9:57 am

    Again, you are my motivation for my running stints this summer. One of these times you are here, we should make a trip to Starbucks together! 🙂 (LOVE YOUR YELLOW RUNNING SHOES :))

  3. 08/22/2011 11:44 pm

    Congrats on your PDR! I bet it felt so great to know that you accomplished such a far distance. I hope your foot doesn’t give you any more troubles!


  1. Cora & Chris Say ‘I Do’ « Nurse with a Purse
  2. Pfffffffff - Nurse with a Purse

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s